Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Creamy Lemon Rice

Mom Comment: This is my favorite rice. ... great with chicken our anything on the grill. You can eliminate the cream and it is still good.


Yield: 8-10 servings

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 cup butter 
  • 2 cups white rice
  • Grated zest of 2 lemons (I usually do 3-4 lemons because I like it lemony)
  • 3 cups chicken broth, boiling (I also just use water and its still really good)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 TBS fresh lemon juice (I add a little more)
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • Freshly ground pepper
Preparation:


Melt butter in a saucepan on low heat.  Stir in rice and zest.  Cook over medium heat,  stirring, until rice is opaque,  about 5 minutes.  Add broth (or water) and salt; cover and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.  Stir in lemon juice.  Slowly stir cream into rice.  Continue to stir in low heat until cream is absorbed, about 5 min.  Season to taste. 

Source of Recipe: "Beyond Parsley” Cookbook (Junior league of Kansas City)
Submitted by: Gretchen G. 

Reproduced by permission from the Junior League of Kansas City, Missouri, Inc., Beyond Parsley: Beautiful Food Presented by the Junior League of Kansas City, Missouri (Kansas City: Junior League of Kansas City, Mo., 1984), 177. All rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. SO good! I served this with breaded pork and it was great. I didn't have heavy cream so I used full fat half & half, and I used water, and it was still good.

    ReplyDelete